Skin nourishing face masks to make at home
Create your own skin-soothing face mask with pantry cupboard staples
In these turbulent times, when things still feel far from normal, it truly is the little things that matter. With the art of self-care never more important, creating your own at-home spa rituals with luxury skincare products can be a great way to unwind.
Whilst many of us know all too well the power of smoothing on a face mask, creating your own has the added benefit of encouraging a few minutes of mindfulness and is a great way for younger family members involved.
With store cupboard staples such as honey, oats and avocado offering a myriad of skin benefits – anti blemish, moisturising and soothing inflammation – we’ve homed in on some nourishing recipes designed to encourage clean skincare, improve your skin and elevate mood during lockdown. Here’s what’s on our self-care masking menu…
The skin-soothing cucumber, oat and honey face mask
Designed to: calm and comfort sensitive skin
Teenagers and those with sensitive skin should avoid overloading on ingredients. Instead, focus on a few skin-soothing staples that will help to calm and comfort skin.
‘Ingredients like cucumber and honey are perfect for sensitive skin,’ says Olivanna founder Janine. ‘Not only is cucumber largely comprised of water, which helps to cool, calm and soothe but it’s unlikely to cause any reaction, even with incredibly sensitive skin. Honey is also incredibly nourishing and skin-softening to soothe easily-aggravated skin and bring a sense of relief.’
If your skin is extremely sensitive, test your mask on the inside of your wrist first and wait a few minutes to see how it responds before applying it to your face.
What you’ll need:
- Half a cucumber
- 1 tablespoon of oats
- 1 tablespoon of runny honey
- Blend half a cucumber in a food processor until it has a paste-like consistency. Then strain to remove any solids
- Add 1 tablespoon of oats to the mixture and stir
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey and mix until smooth and thoroughly blended
- Apply mask to skin freshly cleansed with our Rosewater & Chamomile Cream Cleanser using your fingertips to gently massage it in
- Let it sit for 20 minutes then remove with lukewarm water and gently pat skin dry with a clean face cloth
The hydrating avocado mask for dry, winter skin
Designed to: boost skin’s moisture levels and soothe dry patches
The mixture of central heating and outdoor, biting winds mean almost all of us will experience dryness during the winter months. ‘There are lots of brilliant at-home solutions that can help support skin,’ says Janine.
‘Avocados are a brilliant source of biotin, vitamins and fatty acids, which helps to nourish and prevent dry skin. Bananas are also rich in potassium which helps to improve rough skin and heal areas that are incredibly parched. Used together, they will soften and add much-needed moisture to skin.’
What you’ll need:
- 1/4 Avocado
- 1/2 Banana
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 2 tablespoons of natural yoghurt
- Mash the avocado and the banana with the back of a fork in a small bowl
- Then add in 2 tablespoons of natural yoghurt and gently mix together
- Finally, pour in a teaspoon of runny honey and stir until thoroughly blended
- Smooth onto cleansed skin using a mask tool or the back of a spoon and allow it to sit on skin for up to 15 minutes
- Gently remove with a damp wash cloth, pat skin dry with a clean towel and apply our Hyaluronic Firming Day Moisturiser to lock in all of that extra moisture.
The spot-soothing turmeric, honey and yoghurt treatment
Designed to: calm breakouts and bring skin back to balance
‘Turmeric has long been used in Ayurvedic medicine to help calm inflammation in the body and it has a similar effect on skin,’ says Janine. ‘Honey also has countless healing properties and is antibacterial which can make it something of a saviour for calming inflammation, redness and acne.’
What you’ll need:
- 1 tablespoon of rice or chickpea flour
- 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons natural yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon of runny honey
- Mix all of the ingredients together until they form a smooth paste
- Using a mask tool or you’re your fingertips, smooth onto freshly cleansed skin and allow it to get to work for twenty minutes
- Wash off with a warm washcloth and gently pat skin dry
The radiance-boosting coffee and turmeric mask
Designed to: restore a glow to tired, lacklustre skin
‘It’s no secret that caffeine peps us up when we’re sleep-starved but its effects work when applied topically to skin too,’ says Janine. ‘Just one tablespoon is enough to boost blood circulation to encourage radiance. It’s also packed with antioxidants which help to remove impurities to smooth and brighten skin.’
What you’ll need:
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground coffee
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon natural yoghurt
- Mix all of the ingredients together until thoroughly blended
- Apply all over the face avoiding the delicate eye area and mouth
- Let it sit on skin for up to 20 minutes
- Gently remove using a washcloth soaked in warm water
- Add a light layer of our Hyaluronic Firming Day Moisturiser for added glow
After all, during these trying times, anything that encourages us to spend quality time with the rest of our household, not to mention a spot of pampering, is certainly welcome.